Share This

Bookmark and Share

Monday, May 9, 2011

book cover artwork

Welcome to all the new subscribers and members from the Spring Blog Carnival.  I hope you have found a place you can hang out like the neighborhood coffee shop.

I have a question this week for all of you.  How much does the cover art impact your reading decisions.  I know I am very influenced by cover artwork.  I may not decide what to purchase based on the artwork, but I am more likely to pick up a book and read the blurbs because the cover got my attention. 

So what about you - how much does cover artwork impact the books you end up reading? 

Such as these book cover examples - which immediately grabs your interest and why:






I tried to include a few examples that covered the range.  So what do you think?  What draws you more and why?

Would you like to know more about the artists that do the covers?  I have been considering featuring a few cover artists if the publishers are agreeable - what do you think?



Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

The Daring Novelist said...

I'd love to see posts on covers, and interviews with artists would be great. Regardless as to whether they seel books are not, cover art is fun to look at, and it might be fun to look are old covers and new ones and favorites too.

A.F. Heart said...

Thank you for the comment. I think the artwork on book covers is just fascinating! Many are miniature masterpieces and the artists are unsung geniuses IMHO.

Anne said...

I don't like any of the examples. The one I'd pick up is Bookmarked for Death. While the picture isn't very clear that it's a mystery, the title makes that clear.

I've read some of Barrett's work and S.A. Jaffarian, so I easily recognize their covers, but I really dislike Jaffarian's covers. They look cheap and uninteresting to me. her vampire book has a better cover than these mysteries.

A.F. Heart said...

Anne,

Very interesting - what would be a book cover that you do like on a mystery novel?

I totally agree about Jaffarian's cover, it looks amateurish.

Related Posts with Thumbnails