Share This

Bookmark and Share

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Review: The Cat, the Lady and the Liar

I hope you enjoy my neighbor Ken's book reviews because he is back with a cozy this week.  Ken loves mysteries and like me, he enjoys anything from suspense to cozies.  We go to South Carolina this week for our mystery - please join us.

Author:  Leann Sweeney

Copyright:  April 2011; Obsidian (Penguin Group); 257 pages
 
Series:  #3 in The Cat’s in Trouble Mysteries
 
Sensuality: N/A
 
Mystery sub-genre:  Cozy
 
Main Characters:  Jillian Hart, cat quilter, and her sleuth-cats Chablis, Merlot, and Syrah
 
Setting:  Modern day, Mercy and Woodcrest, South Carolina
 
Obtained Book Through:  Publisher supplied in exchange for honest review

The description on the back of the book does a good job of providing the premise of the book:

When cat quilter Jillian Hart tracks down the owner of a gorgeous stray cat, the trail leads her to none other than fabulously wealthy, undeniably quirky Ritaestelle Longworth.  The gossips are questioning Ritaestelle’s sanity, and the high-society grande dame isn’t helping matters with her wild accusations that someone is drugging her to keep her away from her beloved cat.

Before Jillian can get to the bottom of Ritaesteel’s charges, a body turns up in the lake behind her house – and her cat Chablis discovers Ritaestelle standing nearby.  Can Jillian’s three wise cats aid her in solving a mystery with roots that are decades old?  Jillian knows from experience that to find the purr-petrator, she’ll have to prick up her ears and follow the paw prints straight to to a killer….

This was a fun and enjoyable book.  Leanne Sweeney really knows and understands one of our most beloved and mystical friends – the cat.  Many of us cat lovers know about the quote from an unknown source, “In ancient Egypt, cats were worshiped as gods.  Cats have never forgotten this.”  

Jillian’s three cats contributed much to the heart of this story.  They provided some clues without prematurely divulging the ending.  Isis, the lost and found companion to Ritaestelle, displays another aspect of feline mentality.  She has a habit of getting stuck in baskets and drawers.  From the book:
    “I carefully extracted Isis from the cabinet drawer while Tom crouched beside me and petted my cats.

     I said, ‘Isis apparently thinks she’s thinner than she actually is.  Maybe her whiskers are too short.  Whiskers should warn a cat about whether they’ll fit into a space.’

     ‘ I get the feeling that Isis does what Isis wants, regardless of the consequences,’ he said.  ‘Sounds like a little criminal, if you ask me.’

     I held her up and looked into her green eyes.  ‘Is he calling you names?  Doesn’t he know you’re a goddess?’  I smile and set Isis down.   She strolled away as if nothing had happened.

     I said, ‘Why do cats act like they had no part of an embarrassing situation?  Is it that little human section of their brain at work?’

     ‘I haven’t gotten stuck in a wicker basket or a drawer lately, but I’d pretend it was no big deal if my peers were watching,’ Tom said.

     I laughed.  ‘Guess I would, too.’”
The story line of this whodunit is well developed, plausible, and believable.  All the necessary ingredients are incorporated.   There is mystery, murder, suspense, and plot twists.  A wide variety of possible culprits, including ne’er-do-well relatives with means, motives, and opportunities to commit murder add to the story’s intrigue.  The hints, clues, innuendos, and misdirections, including the use of small town gossip, keeps the reader guessing right up to the surprising end.  A very satisfying read.

I will add Leanne Sweeney to my list of favorite mystery authors.


THANK YOU so much Ken for another welcome book review.

I found this very funny video featuring two cats who carry on a conversation.






Bookmark and Share

1 comments:

Gaby G said...

I will have to find the first of the series, sounds like it's fun and cute! Besides, I love cats, hehe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails