Share This

Bookmark and Share

Monday, December 29, 2014

Best of 2014

I hope your holiday was warm and filled with joy, and a few new books!  Another year is drawing to a close and there are roundups popping up everywhere, giving the best books of 2014.  I would like to share a few, and ask you to share your favorites of the year as well.

Goodreads gave a reader's choice roundup of the Mystery and Thriller books of the year.  The top contenders in order of highest votes decending are: 

1)  Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1) by Stephen King

2)  The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith

3)  The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1) by Rob Thomas... on my TBR pile

4)  Top Secret Twenty-One (Stephanie Plum #21) by Janet Evanovich

5)  The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10) by Louise Penny

6)  The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #5) by Tana French
 

7)  The Son by Jo Nesbø

8)  I Am Pilgrim (Pilgrim, #1) by Terry Hayes

9)  The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6) by Alan Bradley

10)  Missing You by Harlan Coben (read review here)


11)  The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller, #5) by Michael Connelly

12)  Natchez Burning (Penn Cage #4) by Greg Iles

13)  The Good Girl by Mary KubicaIn 


14)  The Blood by Lisa Unger

15)  Personal (Jack Reacher, #19) by Lee Child


16)  The Target (Will Robie, #3) by David Baldacci  (read review here)


17)  Mean Streak by Sandra Brown


18)  The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh
 

19)  Runner (Sam Dryden, #1) by Patrick Lee

See the complete list here



For me personally, the ones I have read this year that stand out in my mind are:

The Target (Will Robie, #3) by David Baldacci
(read review here)

 Missing You by Harlan Coben (read review here)
 
The English Girl by Daniel Silva (read review here)

Murder at Westminster Abbey by Amanda Carmack
(read review here)

A Grave Matter by Anna Lee Huber
(read review here)

Why Kings Confess by CS Harris (read review here)



And how about you?  What were the mystery or suspense/thriller books you read in 2014 that you would recommend above the others?  Please share in the comments.



As the new year approaches, people set goals that fizzle quickly, but consider this idea to help you with a resolution to get healthy.

 


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Marce said...

So glad to see your list. I haven't been active on my blog, very hard year so great to see another mystery lovers top choices.

I am still deciding if I should do a top, maybe 5. Tomorrow is the day to decide, eek.

Happy New Year

A.F. Heart said...

Marce,
Thanks, I wasn't sure about posting it - so I am glad to know it was helpful :-) I look forward to reading what your top picks are!

Ariel

Catherine Dilts said...

Ariel, I discovered two mystery authors in 2014 that I intend to follow - Cathy Ace and Ovidia Yu. I highly recommend both if you enjoy amateur sleuth mysteries. Ace's sleuth is a Welsh/Canadian foodie, and Yu's is an elderly Singaporean chef. Maybe I just like reading about food - ha ha.
Catherine

A.F. Heart said...

Oh, those sound fascinating Catherine! Thank you for sharing them, I had never heard of them before.

Related Posts with Thumbnails