Share This

Bookmark and Share

Thursday, September 7, 2023

Review - Curds of Prey

I haven't read the two prior books in the series and I had no problem following the storyline at all.  This is a completely new-to-me author and series.

Author: Korina Moss

Copyright: March 2023 (St. Martin) 331 pgs

Series: 3rd in Cheese Shop Mysteries

Sensuality: n/a

Mystery Sub-genre: Cozy mystery, Amateur Sleuth, food cozy

Main Character: Willa Bauer, owner and proprietor of French inspired Curds & Whey Cheese Shop

Setting: Modern day, small town Yarrow Glan in Sonoma Valley CA

Obtained Through: Publisher (Netgalley) for honest review

Book Blurb: "Yarrow Glen's favorite cheese shop, Curds & Whey, gets to be a part of the social event of the season: Summer Harrington’s wedding. Cheesemonger Willa Bauer is going all out for the wedding shower’s cheese bar. But the eagle-eyed Harrington family is proving to be a pain in her asiago. A last-minute tasting ends in disaster when one of Willa’s potential beaux, Roman, gets in a fight with the groom. Then the shower arrives, and while there’s anything but love in the air, there is plenty of cheese. Oh, and Roman... again. The day officially ends in disaster when Willa finds the groom—who also happens to be the mayor’s nephew—in the stable, dead as a dodo. At the mayor’s request, Willa must follow the trail of cheese curds to find a killer while continuing to walk a tightrope between two of Sonoma Valley’s most powerful families." 

My Thoughts:  Willa Bauer is recreating her time in France at her cheese shop.  She was definitely in a delicate situation between the two families and she managed it well.  Roman Massey is the owner of a brewery and a potential romantic interest, although his motivations were a bit murky at times.  Another potential romantic interest in the police detective.  Interesting secondary characters in the staff of the cheese shop and a neighbor (aka Team Chese) were a great addition and a highlight for me.  

The Harrington's estate was a great backdrop for the primary setting.  The mystery kept me guessing for the most part. The killer reveal was exciting with some tense moments--kudos.  And the wrapup tied up any remaining storylines.

Overall, it is a solid cozy mystery.  I didn't seem to click with the Willa as much as I would have liked, but I have nothing to note against the character.  Not every book strikes the chord with everyone and although this wasn't a home-run for me, I think many will love it.  I enjoyed it and I recommend it for cozy fans since it has all the elements with the foody element, potential romances, and interesting mysteries.

Rating: Excellent - I generally enjoyed it and recommend! 



Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails