Share This

Bookmark and Share

Monday, January 15, 2024

Musings--2023 Book of the Year

 

     I looked over the books I reviewed for 2023 by month and filtered it down to one standout book for 2023.  Many of the books I read were fun and entertaining, but this book stayed with me well after I finished it in August.  I found myself recommending it enthusiastically to anyone who would listen.  So I'm not surprised when using a bracket format that this is the title that rose to the top.  Doing this month-by-month book analysis showed a few months where I slacked in posting book reviews and I apologize for that.  This year I'll endeavor to be more consistant in that regard.

Here is my 2023 Book of the Year:  Mother Daughter Traitor Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal (initial review here).

Apparently, Susan Elia MacNeal uncovered the story of this mother-daughter spy duo during research for her 10th Maggie Hope in the series (The Hollywood Spy) set in 1943 Los Angeles and knew she wanted to write a stand-alone book based on these courageous women.  Naturaly, there are a number of elements that are ficton, but a large amount that is solidly based on what did happen and the deadly peril the two women faced in their spying.  Being a spy tends to get glamorized, but this book brought to life the nerve-wracking tight rope a spy walks day in and out.  Additionally, it shines a light on an important part of our history that has largely been left behind that needs to be front and center--how Nazis were radicalizing Americans right here in the States.  

The novel is well plotted, the pacing taut, and I couldn't put it down.  At times I was on the edge-of-my-seat too.  I can't praise this book enough and it stands out among all the books I read last year.  Let me know what you think when you read it.

The two runners up from my reviews are:

The Omega Factor by Steve Berry (click here)

Playing it Safe by Ashley Weaver (click here)




Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails